Argyll and Bute Council is seeking assistance to help identify potential participants for the Connecting Scotland programme. This aims to connect digitally excluded people so they can access services, support and connect with friends and family during the pandemic. If you would like to nominate individuals, please contact Samantha Somers to register your interest by Friday 5th June 2020. All those registering an interest will receive a link to submit nomination(s).
Argyll and Bute Council have been allocated 125 devices in Phase 1 of the programme. Following an application process devices will be awarded to people on low incomes who are isolating and are at greatest risk from COVID-19. Eligible participants will be provided with:
- Access to kit –an appropriate internet enabled device (Chromebook or iPad)
- Access to connectivity –a mobile hotspot and 12 months of data
- Support to develop skills and confidence online
We are requesting your help to identify members of your community who meet the below criteria:
- The person does not currently have an appropriate device and/or connectivity at home
- The person is on a low income and affordability of devices or connectivity is a barrier
- The person (or their household) is at risk of isolation due to being Shielded or at an increased risk of severe illness but not defined as Shielding.
The key dates have been set by the Scottish Government and the project is moving at a fast pace. An online portal is being developed with the application portal being open for nominations from the 8th June with nominations closing a week later. Nominations will be welcomed from all community groups and service providers who have existing relationships with individuals who would be eligible for a device.
If you wish to nominate an individual, please email Samantha Somers. Apologies for the very limited notice and timescales, these are outwith the council’s control.
For more information about Connecting Scotland, please visit the website.